Here is a list of information and documents that you may want to gather before you start your new insurance application. You can still apply for help paying for health coverage if you have most of the information below.
- Social Security numbers for all people who are applying or
- An immigration document for all non-U.S. citizens who are applying.
- If you are applying for help paying for insurance: a copy of your federal tax return from last year. If you did not file taxes last year, or your income has changed since last year, have information about your current income ready (such as recent pay stubs or an unemployment award letter).
- Home or mailing address for everyone in your household who needs insurance.
- If your employer or your spouse’s employer offers health insurance, ask their Human Resources department these questions:
- Do any of the health plans that the employer offers meet the“minimum value” standard?
- What is the employee contribution to the lowest-cost health plan offered for an individual?
- How often?
- Every 2 weeks
- Twice a month
Last Update: November 3, 2016