As a Health Connector member, you have a right to cancel your health or dental plan at any time. But the day of the month when you cancel your plan is very important.
If you need to cancel a health or dental plan for next month, then you must cancel the plan by the 23rd of the current month.
Your coverage end date is the last day of the month that you request your plan cancellation even if you cancel before the 23rd of the month. Otherwise, your coverage will end the last day of the following month. So, if you cancel your plan on or before the 23rd of the month, you will still be covered through the last day of that same month. If you cancel your coverage the 24th of the month or later, you will be covered for the entire following month if you paid your monthly premium.
Here is an example:
- You started a new job and now will have health insurance through your new employer that starts on October 1.
- You must cancel your plan through the Health Connector between September 1 and September 23 in order for your plan to end by September 30 right before your job-based plan starts on October 1st so you can avoid having—and paying for—two health plans.
- You will not be able to take action to cancel your plan between the 24th and the last day of the month.
Special note for members who make automatic payments
If you make payments automatically, then you should either cancel your plan or cancel your automatic payments before it is deducted from your account on the 22nd of the month. You can learn how to cancel your automatic payments here →
Plan cancellations can’t be retroactive
This means that if you miss the cancellation deadline in the month you want to cancel your plan, then you will not be able to cancel your plan for the that month or any previous month. You will only be able to cancel for the next month. You will be responsible to pay all premiums for that month.
For example, you got a new job and now have health insurance through your new employer that started on October 1st. On October 8th you realized that you did not cancel your Health Connector plan and are covered by two health plans.
- You will not be able to have your Health Connector plan be cancelled back to October 1st.
- You are responsible for paying the premium with the Health Connector for the month of October.
- You will not be able to get a refund of your October premium from the Health Connector if you already paid it.
- You will still need to takes steps to cancel your Health Connector plan.
- Your coverage will continue through the end of October and November will be the first month that you don’t have coverage through the Health Connector.
How to cancel your plan
There are 3 ways to cancel your health or dental plan:
- Step 1: Log into your account
- Step 2: Go to “My Enrollments”
- Step 3: Select the current application year and click the “Submit” button to see your enrollments
- Step 4: Click the “Cancel Enrollment” button
- Step 5: Confirm your cancellation
2. By phone
Call Health Connector Customer Service at 1-877-MA-ENROLL (1-877-623-6765), or TTY 1-877-623-7773 for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech disabled.
Special note: If you are cancelling your plan over the phone, the request should be made no later than 2 hours before close of business on the 23rd of the month.
3. In writing
You can cancel your plan by mail or fax. Mail cancellation requests to:
133 Portland Street, 1st floor
Boston, MA 02114-1707
Special note: If you are mailing your request, please be sure to mail your request by the 10th month so that we have time to receive your request and process it before the 23rd of the month deadline.
Fax cancellation requests to 617-887-8745
Special note: If you are cancelling your plan by fax, the request should be made no later than the 16th of the month so that we have time to receive your request and process it before the 23rd of the month deadline.
Have a dental plan but no health coverage?
If you only have a dental plan, you can only make cancellation requests by phone or in writing at this time.
Resource: Enrollment Cancellation Calendar
|Date when you want your plan to end||Cancel your enrollment anytime within these dates|
|January 31||January 1–January 23|
|February 28||February 1–February 23|
|March 31||March 1–March 23|
|April 30||April 1–April 23|
|May 31||May 1–May 23|
|June 30||June 1–June 23|
|July 31||July 1–July 23|
|August 31||August 1–August 23|
|September 30||September 1–September 23|
|October 31||October 1–October 23|
|November 30||November 1–November 23|
|December 31||December 1–December 23|
Remember, if you are signed up for automatic payments through the Health Connector, be sure to cancel your plan or recurring payments before the 22nd of the month.
If you have set up an online payments to the Health Connector through your bank’s online bill payment system, be sure to update your account to cancel those payments.