Federal Poverty Level (FPL)

The Federal Poverty Level, or FPL, is a measure of income level published each year by the Department of Health and Human Services. Federal poverty levels are used to help determine your eligibility for certain programs and benefits. The 2019 Federal Poverty Levels are used to determine who may be currently eligible for MassHealth programs. The 2018  Federal Poverty Levels are used to determine who may be eligible for Health Connector or ConnectorCare plans. 2019 MassHealth Income Standards and Federal Poverty Guidelines Family Size MassHealth Income Standards 100% Federal Poverty Level 5% Federal Poverty Level 120% Federal Poverty Level 133% Federal Poverty Level 135% Federal Poverty Level 1 Monthly Yearly Monthly Yearly Monthly Yearly Monthly Yearly Monthly Yearly Monthly Yearly $522 $6,264 $1,041 $12,492 $53 $636 $1,249 $14,988 $1,385 $16,620 $1,406 $16,872 2 $650 $7,800 $1,410 $16,920 $71 $852 $1,691 $20,292 $1,875 $22,500 $1,903 $22,836 3 $775 $9,300 $1,778 $21,336 $89 $1,068 $2,365 $28,380 4 $891 $10,692 $2,146 $25,752 $108 $1,296 $2,854 $34,248 5 $1,016 $12,192 $2,515 $30,180 $126 $1,512 $3,344 $40,128 6 $1,141 $13,692 $2,883 $34,596 $145 $1,740 $3,834 $46,008 7 $1,266 $15,192 $3,251 $39,012 $163 $1,956 $4,324 $51,888 8 $1,383 $16,596 $3,620 $43,440 $181 $2,172 $4,814 $57,768 For each additional person add $133 $1,596 $369 $4,428 $19 $228 $490 $5,880 Family Size 150% Federal Poverty Level 200% Federal Poverty Level 250% Federal Poverty Level 300% Federal Poverty Level 400% Federal Poverty Level 1 Monthly Yearly Monthly Yearly Monthly Yearly Monthly Yearly Monthly [...]

Monday, March 13th, 2017|

What is the best way to apply for coverage?

The fastest way to apply is online at You can also apply through a paper application. Download a copy of the paper application from the Forms page or call 1-877 MA ENROLL (1-877-623-6765) or TTY: 1-877-623-7773 to have a paper copy mailed to you.

Tuesday, May 12th, 2015|

Do I have to buy through the Health Connector if I want to get help paying for insurance?

Yes, help paying for insurance through tax credits and low-cost ConnectorCare plans is only available through the Health Connector. Even if you enroll in a plan without help paying for it through the Health Connector, if you end up qualifying for a tax credit based on your income for that year, the IRS will let you to claim the tax credit when you file your taxes at the end of the year. But the tax credit is not available for someone who buys a plan outside of the Health Connector. You can also apply through the Health Connector website to see if you qualify for MassHealth coverage.

Tuesday, May 12th, 2015|

How is income now measured for determining who can get help paying for insurance?

Eligibility for help paying for insurance is no longer determined by your gross (total) income. Under national health reform, Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) is now used instead. Under MAGI you can factor in business expenses that you write off for tax purposes (your Schedule C losses) when calculating your income. This means that many more people may qualify for help who might not have been able to get it in the past. Most people can look at their adjusted gross income (line 37 on their income tax return) to see what their MAGI number will most likely be. This is an important change to understand for those who are self-employed or have combination income sources that include self-employment income.

Tuesday, May 12th, 2015|

When can I apply for coverage?

In general, an open enrollment period is the time of year when people who are applying for health insurance can enroll or change a plan for any reason. The next open enrollment period is November 1, 2019, and will run through January 23, 2020. However, if you can qualify for help paying for coverage through programs like MassHealth or a ConnectorCare plan, or experience a qualifying life event, you may be able to enroll at any time during the year. If you do not qualify for help paying for coverage, there are certain qualifying events that allow you to enroll in coverage at other times during the year. Qualifying events include (but are not limited to): adding a dependent through birth or marriage, moving to a new permanent address in Massachusetts, or becoming a citizen, national, or lawfully present individual. For more information on qualifying events, go to our Closed Enrollment information page.

Tuesday, May 12th, 2015|

What if I’m a student and already have MassHealth coverage?

If you were covered by MassHealth before entering school and you will be attending a school in Massachusetts, you may be able to maintain your MassHealth coverage rather than enrolling in your school’s SHIP, or if you attend a participating school, you may be eligible for the MassHealth SHIP Premium Assistance Program.  Please call the MassHealth SHIP Premium Assistance Program for more information. If you will be attending school out of state, your MassHealth coverage will likely cover only emergency services.  Please call MassHealth customer service for more information, and also check with your school regarding their student health insurance requirements.

Tuesday, May 12th, 2015|